Thursday, June 10, 2021

Day 2 (5/28/21) --  miles traveled: ~ 450

Stop Location: Rest Stops in PA and Mint Spring, Virginia

Theme song: Rain On Me (Lady Gaga)

Science: None

Well, I woke up pretty sad and a little confused about what to do next. I spoke with Ilana who mentioned I should probably just ask an RV dealer to look at it -- so I called around without much hope -- it was Friday of Memorial Day weekend post-pandemic.........could not be a busier travel day to date!

I spoke with probably the only nice guy at Camping World, Kingston, who took pity on me and gave me a number for a friend of his who had been known to make "house" calls to do RV repairs. Slightly hopeful, I called his friend, Dave, who said the earliest he could come was 3pm. 

Resigned to the loss of another day, I promptly went right back to sleep, catching up on the past week of late nights trying to get on the road.

Dave came by just as a thunderstorm started to roll in. He was really kind and dedicated to getting the trailer up and running. First issue he found:  I had been short circuiting the wires for marker lights I hadn't finished hooking up. That fixed the trailer end of things -- but my car was now not supplying any power to the trailer. Huge, lazy raindrops started to fall on us. Dave had to run, with many apologies, to finish another outdoor job he was on 10 minutes away. He said if I couldn't figure it out by tomorrow to bring it by his shop in Olivebridge Saturday. I watched him leave. I sat in my car for a minute. Neighbors strolled by and waved to me. I felt really stupid and the idea of being stuck in my driveway another night just felt......sad. 

Rain started really coming down. I wondered if my trailer was going to really be waterproof -- it certainly looked promising......




One of the things Dave had mentioned before he left was that there may be a blown fuse in the car but he did not know where. I decided to unload the entire car to find it. And I did! That little 15amp fuse located under the back trunk was the culprit. I replaced it and suddenly the trailer lights were on and I was road legal again! At 5:30pm, then, I actually left the 146 Franklin Street driveway and was on my way. 


I drove for about 7 hours until stopping at two different rest areas on my way to Homer, GA, where my brother David lives.  It rained the entire way.......


I parked between some massive semis the first time at a rest stop somewhere in PA (or VA??) but couldn't sleep in the trailer (it was full of tools and gear) -- my car seat just wasn't that comfortable so I then drove another couple of hours to Mint Springs, VA (I think). I parked in an abandoned parking lot near a gas station and slept for another couple hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 46 (7/11): Miles traveled: ~ 250 Location: Yellowstone, ending at Best Western in Billings, MT Science: air quality measurements (both p...