Thursday, June 10, 2021

Well, this is the very first blog post of my life -- here goes:

First, THANK YOU to each and every one of my family, friends, and colleagues and co-workers who have been part of making this trip possible!!!!

Second, I have kept this blog very light and have not included much interpretation/political musing -- I am reserving that for something that I'll hopefully put together later, once I get real perspective on this entire adventure. If you need more details, please let me know! And now, here's the blog:

I had promised everyone that I'd do some sort of blog associated with my epic "I am 50!" roadtrip research adventure, but really hadn't given much thought to how that might be a lot easier said than done.....so, here I am, about 2 weeks into said adventure and just getting around to sorting out how to blog.  I am going to document each day here, to get caught up, but first a few general musings:

1. I really have enjoyed my trip so far! I miss my family and friends (and even work!), though, and am constantly wishing I could share these amazing things I am experiencing with others -- so this blog is a way to give you all a piece of what is going on out here on the road. 

2.  Teardrop trailers are hard work and now I know why they say that the best 2 days of your life are when you buy your boat and then when you sell it.......my little ground-yacht is awesome but constantly needing attention........I think once this roadtrip is done, having the R/V Anchor's Drop go into permanent community science service will be a GREAT next step. Also, if you really need to have a teardrop travel trailer, be sure you have plenty of little brothers who love to tinker -- this trailer definitely wasn't ready for camping the first full week of my trip, but David, Michael, and Joe really helped me get it up to speed in GA and FL.

3.  I overpacked. And it has taken me two weeks to deal with that -- I have since sent 1 big box home through UPS, one box stayed with my brother David in Homer, GA, and one box went home with another brother, Michael, to West Palm, Florida. And still I have too much........

4.  Doing scientific field work is hard -- and somehow I had forgotten that from my grad school days. Feeling a bit re-humbled by all young researchers out there -- keep up that important tough work!

5.  Listening to Roxanne Dunbar Ortiz' An Indigenous People's History of the United States on Audible as I traveled through the East and Gulf Coasts fundamentally altered my perception of the United States. Should be required reading for all educators and college students. 

6.  It is not necessary to eat out at restaurants to sample local foods. At least in the south, all it takes is camping beside the right folks who generously offer brisket, brisket, brisket, and more brisket at every stop........I have eaten more meat in the past 5 nights than I have in the past year -- and of course all either hunted or grown personally by the folks offering the food (yes, I am in Texas). ALL of the food has been excellent. I even got to sample real boudin last night (with fresh-caught wild boar in it). I am not sure if it's just southern hospitality and/or the fact that what I'm cooking just makes folks feel bad for me?????



 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 46 (7/11): Miles traveled: ~ 250 Location: Yellowstone, ending at Best Western in Billings, MT Science: air quality measurements (both p...