Friday, July 16, 2021

Day 22 -- (6/17/21): Miles traveled: ~ 370

Location: various sites, ending at Valley of the Goblins near Green River, UT

Science: various air quality measurements

Coming out of the Rockies was the first of many white-knuckled driving experiences I knew were coming (and truly dreaded) on this roadtrip. The turns were hairpin, the views were quite literally awesome, and my fear of heights was on overdrive. I was not aware that acrophobia could be suc

h a full-body experience, actually -- and the fact that my personal acrophobia style has always been to be afraid that I would just out-of-the-blue jump, it was harrowing driving me and my little trailer in between the lines while trying to take in the views, deep-breathe, and grip-the-heck outta the steering wheel .......crikey!

First stop: rest stop on a river in CO --






As the drive continued, it started to heat up -- here's a terrible attempt at documenting 109degF -- 


I was excited to visit Valley of the Goblins again because it is another of those unique off-the-beaten-path spots in the US. The first time I stayed here, the campsites were undeveloped and basically patches of sandy dirt with number posts denoting campsites. Regardless, the Goblins made you feel like you were on another planet and the stars were the type that you could watch while walking right into them as you hiked from the Valley to the campground. When I rolled in this time, though, I was met with an upgraded, clean, and frankly sweet campground complete with showers. In the desert. 





I was glad that I had arrived later in the day, because it made Texas heat seem like nothing. I know, I know, it's better when there's no humidity, but still -- HOT. I walked up to the Valley to get a look at the Goblins --





and to say hi to the 3 Sisters formation,

and hoped for the stars to come out on my way back. This did not happen -- there were clouds/haze in the sky and I could not stay awake long enough for the stars to show up. I woke up around 2am and still not many stars.......but I did an early morning stop off at the Goblins before leaving and the sunrise was glorious. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 46 (7/11): Miles traveled: ~ 250 Location: Yellowstone, ending at Best Western in Billings, MT Science: air quality measurements (both p...