Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Day 44 (7/9): Miles traveled: ~ 210

Location: half the day at Cascade Lake, then to Twin Falls, ID

Science: air quality measurements (both particulate counter and MicroTops measurements) for half the day at lake peninsula camping spot on Lake Cascade (near dam outlet on Payette River) -- wildfire haze increasing -- then measurements in hotel parking lot in Twin Falls, ID

We spent most of the day hanging out at Lake Cascade, watching the wildfire smoke haze build and further obscure mountain views. 

Rosie tried some new fishing strategies, but still no bites on her line. She had decided to give up just as we sat down to lunch.  As we ate, we realized that we had a new friend -- a cute chipmunk was hanging out under the table waiting for us to get sloppy -- 


Right after we took this picture, a hawk flew over our campsite, gripping a struggling silver fish in its talons. "I guess there ARE fish in that lake!" Rosie cried, and grabbed her pole and went back out to fish. 



She got two true bites before we had to leave for Twin Falls, ID. I had decided we had to stay in a hotel because I could not find open campsites between Lake Cascade and Yellowstone. 

On the drive, Rosie and I figured out that if she used her headphones from her tablet, I could still listen to my books-on-audible, so I finished up Braiding Sweetgrass and jumped into West of the Revolution. This was a very interesting accompanying text for this stage of our journey -- and, as usual, full of history that I had either never known, was lied to about, or just had the privilege to think I did not need for my scientific work. Wow, was I mistaken.

We stayed at the Motel 6 once we made it to Twin Falls. It was not fancy, but we got pizza delivered and watched Luca. Again. Still loved it.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 46 (7/11): Miles traveled: ~ 250 Location: Yellowstone, ending at Best Western in Billings, MT Science: air quality measurements (both p...