Monday, June 14, 2021

Days 7-10 (6/2/21-6/5/21) -- miles traveled: ~415

Location: Manatee Springs State Park, Chiefland, FL

Science: air quality monitor in campsite #46 for first two days, then #60 for duration - lots of campfires going both evening and morning

Well, it wasn't manatee season here, but it sure had its share of alligators! Really exciting and beautiful spot. The water features were incredible -- beginning with the crystal-clear freshwater springs flowing out of an underwater cave system, that then flowed through a massive cypress swamp into the famous Suwannee River........the springs were refreshingly chilly and housed several large catfish and turtles (snorkeling was great). 





I discovered that I had forgotten to pack my paddleboard paddle when I went to try to paddle the springs out into the river, so I had to run into town to find a replacement. Like most small southern towns, Walmart SuperCenter was the only spot around and I reluctantly went in to grab a cheap paddle. An older woman saw me with the paddle and said "You cain't paddle board in the river here!" and I just chuckled. I was really not sure why she'd say something like that, since I'd seen a couple folks rent a paddleboard at the park earlier (although they only stuck to the clear waters). It wasn't until I got out onto the river itself and saw my first 7 foot alligator that I realized why she may have been concerned.......

I also got this video of a smaller one sunning with some turtles and then jumping off the log when I approached....when I came back to shore, I had a cheering section of campers who told me "Most of us were rooting for you out there, but we will admit that some of us were rooting for the alligator......"

The bald cypress swamp seemed straight from a fairy tale -- towering trees with swelled trunks covering a maze of waterways through thickets of their strange root knoblets.......even more puzzling was the addition of tiny deer wading through the shallows, and baby alligators hiding on tiny logs alongside baby turtles. 

More photos here

Here are a few other pics from this adventure:





My brother Michael drove back up to join me for a night and we spent a couple hours watching stars on the docks, listening to the deafening crickets and frogs, massive splashes from breaching river sturgeon, and smaller splashes from alligators hunting. The Suwannee River is a spectacular spot for watching/hearing wildlife and witnessing the richness where ecosystems (fresh springwater/brackish riverwater) merge.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 46 (7/11): Miles traveled: ~ 250 Location: Yellowstone, ending at Best Western in Billings, MT Science: air quality measurements (both p...